- Shredded chicken from one large cooked chicken breast (between 1 and 1.5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons masa harina (or cornmeal/finely ground corn tortillas as substitute)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn
- 1 15-ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, and tortilla chips for topping
- Heat the butter in a Dutch oven or large cooking pot over medium-high heat and sauté the onions until tender and soft, about seven minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the masa harina (or substitute) and flour and stir to combine. Cook for one minute. Gradually add the broth, whisking constantly to prevent clumping. Add the evaporated milk and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Add the shredded chicken, salsa, corn, beans, and all the spices. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the shredded cheese, sour cream, and cilantro. Stir to combine and warm through for another minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup hot topped with more sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, and crumbled tortilla chips (if you like).
Because the leftovers will thicken, it’s a good idea to add chicken broth or milk to the soup before reheating. Recipe courtesy of: http://12tomatoes.com/